When the skin comes into contact with poison ivy, it triggers a reaction to the skin causing contact dermatitis. This means lots of redness, itching, and inflammation leading to relentless scratching that will only further damage the skin and make it harder to heal. If you know you’ve come into contact with poison ivy, the first step is to ensure you wash off any parts of the body that touched the plant or it could have spread to. Use a mild soap and gently remove the oils that trigger an allergic reaction to occur. Though the skin rash itself is not contagious, the oils from the plant can quickly transfer to other places on the body from rubbing.
Redness, itching, red bumps, swelling, and blisters can signal a poison ivy rash, and usually show up between 12 and 48 hours of coming into contact. The itchy rash from poison ivy will usually go away on its own in 1-3 weeks. However there are natural remedies you can take to soothe the skin as you wait for it to clear up. Soaking in a bathtub with cool water can help to relieve itching and redness. You can also use a cool compress against any affected area for 15-30 minutes a few times each day. Also using an oatmeal-based bath product can help with soothing the skin. There are many natural topical ingredients that can also help to relieve symptoms such as aloe vera gel or cucumbers. You can search for any natural relief products to encourage healing of the skin and reducing inflammation. LEMYKA’s Healing Lotion may offer fast itching and irritation relief to your symptoms and calming down red and inflamed skin.. This itch relief cream uses ingredients like Vitamin E, aloe vera, and other plant oils to moisturize skin and reduce irritation. With all natural ingredients, you don’t need to worry about any burning or stinging when applying the product. When used consistently, it will transform damaged skin, speeding up the healing process to result in healthy feeling and looking skin.
If your poison ivy rash becomes widespread, doesn’t clear up on its own, or develops an infection, make sure to visit your doctor to keep the rash under control.