CONTACT DERMATITIS

Contact dermatitis is a condition where patches on the skin become red and itch or burn after coming into contact with an irritant. When skin comes into contact with allergens, allergic reactions may occur one or two days after the initial contact. The more exposure to allergens, the more likely contact dermatitis will occur in response to the allergen. People often think food is a trigger for allergic contact dermatitis, but what we eat is rarely the cause.

So what are the common allergens for contact dermatitis? Commonly found substances such as bleach, soap, poison oak, certain metals, and various other irritants may cause your skin to have a negative reaction.

The most common cause for contact dermatitis is poison ivy. Poison ivy rash occurs when the skin reacts to an oily resin called urushiol in the leaves, roots, and stems of the poison ivy plant. Though the rash itself is not contagious, the resin can easily spread upon contact so make sure to thoroughly wash off the affected area with a mild soap if you happen to touch poison ivy. Irritated skin can be soothed with the help of a natural, anti-inflammatory and itch lotion. 

Fragrances, nickel and certain preservatives such as thimerosal are also common causes of allergic contact dermatitis. Fragrance sensitivity is now seen between 8-15% of those with contact dermatitis. A fragrance is a compound of chemicals which creates an odor and is found in many products from makeup, skincare, to cleaning agents. It can be very difficult for sensitive individuals to pinpoint the exact compound they are allergic to, making it necessary to avoid heavily fragranced products. If you notice you are having a reaction to a certain product, stop using it immediately to avoid worsening your symptoms. 

Nickel allergies are usually associated with earrings and other jewelry, however it is also often found in common items such as coins, zippers, cellphones, and eyeglass frames. If you notice rash, bumps, redness, or itching due to coming into contact with something that might contain nickel, you may have developed an allergy to it. Stop wearing jewelry or other items that contain nickel immediately, and look for alternatives such as hypoallergenic products instead. 

Thimerosal is a preservative often found in certain topical antibiotics. It stops bacteria from growing in certain products and vaccines, however some people may be allergic and have a reaction to it. If you think you may be sensitive to thimerosal, check for it in the ingredients list of any topical product you may use. There are many other preservatives, such as parabens, that you could have a reaction to that can lead to contact dermatitis. 

Minimizing your contact with allergens helps to prevent contact dermatitis, but once you have it, what are some of the best natural remedies to manage symptoms? First, make sure you clean the area of any irritating product or substances using a mild soap. Try using a cold compress, and aloe vera gel to reduce swelling, redness, and itching. Using a gentle, hypoallergenic, fragrance-free moisturizer is important because it will help to soothe irritation and heal damaged skin. An ideal moisturizer adds a protective barrier that makes the skin less susceptible to irritants. It will also help to restore and protect your skin’s outermost layer to prevent future flare ups. With ingredients like aloe vera, calendula, vitamin E, a natural remedy cream may also relieve itching. 

LEMYKA’s Healing Lotion is a great option for a natural remedy that will minimize symptoms and help to heal your skin. Using this lotion daily as much as needed will offer immediate relief for contact dermatitis.

MANAGING POISON IVY

When the skin comes into contact with poison ivy, it triggers a reaction to the skin causing contact dermatitis. This means lots of redness, itching, and inflammation leading to relentless scratching that will only further damage the skin and make it harder to heal. If you know you’ve come into contact with poison ivy, the first step is to ensure you wash off any parts of the body that touched the plant or it could have spread to. Use a mild soap and gently remove the oils that trigger an allergic reaction to occur. Though the skin rash itself is not contagious, the oils from the plant can quickly transfer to other places on the body from rubbing.

 

Redness, itching, red bumps, swelling, and blisters can signal a poison ivy rash, and usually show up between 12 and 48 hours of coming into contact. The itchy rash from poison ivy will usually go away on its own in 1-3 weeks. However there are natural remedies you can take to soothe the skin as you wait for it to clear up. Soaking in a bathtub with cool water can help to relieve itching and redness. You can also use a cool compress against any affected area for 15-30 minutes a few times each day. Also using an oatmeal-based bath product can help with soothing the skin. There are many natural topical ingredients that can also help to relieve symptoms such as aloe vera gel or cucumbers. You can search for any natural relief products to encourage healing of the skin and reducing inflammation. LEMYKA’s Healing Lotion may offer fast itching and irritation relief to your symptoms and calming down red and inflamed skin.. This itch relief cream uses ingredients like Vitamin E, aloe vera, and other plant oils to moisturize skin and reduce irritation. With all natural ingredients, you don’t need to worry about any burning or stinging when applying the product. When used consistently, it will transform damaged skin, speeding up the healing process to result in healthy feeling and looking skin. 

 

If your poison ivy rash becomes widespread, doesn’t clear up on its own, or develops an infection, make sure to visit your doctor to keep the rash under control. 

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • Pinterest
  • Tumblr Social Icon
  • Instagram